Rsync, Cygwin, & SSH: ntsec OR nontsec?

Brian b_rose at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 18 02:36:59 GMT 2004

Hi all,
Thank-you to all the developers for rsync.  It is
very well done.

I have rsync running on various platforms
connecting to the same server and all is good.
Except for 1 Win2000 Prof. server.   I backup
several directories with various permissions and
users successfully.  However, there are 2
directories that even though the permissions are
the same as other directories that are backed up,
these 2 get "permission denied" every time.  Rsync
resets the server side permissions on these 2
directories to "d---------".  So, I change the
settings to 777 and rsync changes them back.  Does
this have something to do with cygwin=ntsec or
nontsec?  I am not using either of them right
now--should I?  Also, I heard ssh has a problem
with one of these settings.  Is that still the case?

Suggestions, please?

Brian

----------------------------------
Client Info:
Windows 2000 Sever Prof.
rsync on client 2.6
cygwin 1005.6.0.0

Server Info:
Debian Sarge using rsync 2.6 (no daemon mode)

Backup .bat file:

rem ------------------- These change for each client.

set USER=<Server_Login_Name>
set USER_IP=<SourceIP>
set BKUP_SRC=/cygdrive/c/foo-dir

rem ------------------- These should not
change-usually.

set INST_DIR=rsync_backup
set INST_LOC=C:\%INST_DIR%
set CYGWIN=binmode tty
set TERM=ansi
set HOME=%INST_LOC%
set REMOTE=<serverIP>
set BKUP_DEST=data/
set LOG_DEST=backup_stats/
set LOG_FILE=/cygdrive/c/%INST_DIR%/home_rsync.log
set BKUP_BKUP_DIR=backup_backups/

rem ------------------- The commands.

date /T > c:\rsync_backup\home_rsync.log

rem Following is on one line
rsync -auvzbpt --partial --modify-window=5
--backup-dir=%BKUP_BKUP_DIR% --rsh="ssh -p
<serverPort> -i
/cygdrive/c/%INST_DIR%/.ssh/id_rsync -l %USER%"
--log-format="%%t
[%%p] <recv<%USER_IP%<%USER%<%%f<%%l<%%b"
%BKUP_SRC%  %USER%@%REMOTE%:%BKUP_DEST%
 >>c:\rsync_backup\home_rsync.log

rem On one line
rsync -Wvv --rsh="ssh  -p <serverPort> -i
/cygdrive/c/%INST_DIR%/.ssh/id_rsync -l %USER%"
%LOG_FILE% %USER%@%REMOTE%:%LOG_DEST%

--
Contagious Design!
web . design . linux software . photo