Problem in using rsync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jun 18 00:34:49 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 01:17:28PM -0600, Tim Conway wrote:
> As I recall, there's an internally-defined "SELECT_TIMEOUT", that, at
> least back then, remained at 60 seconds, regardless of the commandline
> timeout.

This value in the current code remains no larger than 60 seconds, but
that's all good because we'll re-select as needed up until we hit the
specified timeout.

Also, if the user doesn't specify --delete, the file-generation step is
constantly sending data from the sender to the receiver, so there is no
lag that would cause a timeout.  However, when --delete is specified,
the receiver pauses to do its own full-hierarchy scan prior to the start
of the data transfer, and this can cause the connection to timeout.  One
possible way to avoid this is to use --delete-after instead of --delete
so that this delete phase happens at the end of the transfer, and thus
the files get sent right away after the file list is received.