rsync, windows/cygwin and special characters in filenames

Ville Mattila ville.mattila at pilotmedia.fi
Thu Jun 17 18:25:50 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm using cygwin and rsync in my windows-equipped laptop to synchronize
work and other documents between my file server (Linux RH 9) and laptop.
As I'm Finnish, many of the transferred files have special characters
å,ä,ö (A-umlaut etc) in the filenames.

I noticed that when the files are synced from the server to my windows
box, the rsync translates the special characters to quotes. This is a
little bit problematic as there may be depencies and links between the
files.

Does anyone has an idea how this could be solved?

Thank you,
Ville Mattila