rsycnc copies all files

Gareth gareth at bim7.com
Wed Jun 16 19:26:33 GMT 2004

Hi

I am making an extraordinary claim: rysnc seems to copy all my files,
not just ones that have changed or new files.

rsync version 2.6.0  protocol version 27
Debian 3.0 Woody

I have tested this with one simple file, my example is shown below.

Does anyone have any suggestions to rectify this?

Regards

Gareth

example:

I create a file called 'testfile' in /tmp/play containing the current
date and time.

root at lyon:/tmp/play# l
total 0
root at lyon:/tmp/play# date > testfile
root at lyon:/tmp/play# l
total 4
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           29 Jun 16 19:21 testfile
root at lyon:/tmp/play#

I run rsync....

root at lyon:/tmp/play# rsync --verbose --stats /tmp/play/testfile
/tmp/play/testfile2
testfile

Number of files: 1
Number of files transferred: 1
Total file size: 29 bytes
Total transferred file size: 29 bytes
Literal data: 29 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 27
Total bytes written: 112
Total bytes read: 40

wrote 112 bytes  read 40 bytes  304.00 bytes/sec
total size is 29  speedup is 0.19

I run rsync again (with no changes to the file).