real Newbie query sorry!

Stuart Halliday StuartH at ecs-tech.com
Wed Jun 16 10:33:29 GMT 2004

Hi as I'm a real newbie to rsync I'd better apoligise if this is 'old hat'.

I'm trying to get to grips with rsync and I've set up rysnc as a server on a redhat 8 linux pc using a simple rsyncd.conf

I then tried to list some files placed in the rsync server by using a commandline shell to this server. I've called the server 'server'.

But for some reason I can't get a list.

The /etc/rsyncd.conf file is this:

----------------------------------
read only = false
use chroot = true
pid = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
transfer logging = true
log format = %h %o %f %l %b

#my windows pc
hosts allow = 192.168.1.1
strict modes = false

[public]
path = /home/public/test
comment = PublicDirectory
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt
list = yes
---------------------------------

The DOS shell command I'm using is this:

C:\cwrsync>rsync -v server:public

The output is this:
C:\cwrsync>rsync -v server:public
StuartH at server's password: :<I enter my Linux login password here>
Permission denied, please try again.
StuartH at server's password:

Why is it not allowing me to get a file list?

If I do :

rsync -v stuarth at green:

and enter my linux logon password then *that* works and displays the files in my Linux 'stuarth' home directory.

If I do rsync -v green::

I get :
C:\cwrsync>rsync -v green::
public          PublicDirectory

I looked at the system logs on the linux server and read this when I did the nonworking command :

11:29:01 localhost sshd(pam_unix)[1403]: check pass; user unknown
11:29:01 localhost sshd(pam_unix)[1403]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=ecs014

what does this mean?

I'm baffled....

Using:
redhat8 :rsync is V2.5.7