trigger command on successful upload?

Alun auj at aber.ac.uk
Wed Jun 16 08:24:00 GMT 2004

Wayne Davison (wayned at samba.org) said, in message
    <20040615195639.GC16691 at blorf.net>:

> Yup, I was thinking the same thing.  One way to make your feature safer
> would be to turn it into a config-file setting (and leave the script
> outside the download/upload area).  Since a non-daemon setup should be
> able to accomplish the post-processing using a wrapper script around
> rsync (local or remote), it's not particularly needed in that scenario.

Can I add my vote to the request? We push things like iptables firewall
scripts from a central server out to a bunch of other machines. At the
moment, I'm running a little custom built service called issync on each
machine which does:

> #!/usr/bin/perl
> system "/usr/bin/rsync", "--daemon", "--config=/etc/issync.conf";
> chdir("/var/spool/issync");
> system "/usr/bin/make", "-f", "/etc/issync.mk";

where the issync.mk makefile can look at what files were synchronised and
take appropriate actions. This is a messy way of doing things, and a
postexec script on the "share" would let me lose this messy thing.

Cheers,
Alun.

Alun Jones                       auj at aber.ac.uk
Systems Support,                 (01970) 62 2494
Information Services,
University of Wales, Aberystwyth