how to exclude large files from backup list.

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Tue Jun 15 17:50:51 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 12:05:09AM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:34:18AM +0800, Jiang Wensheng wrote:
> > I am using a computer to back up files from another computer
> > automatically. I want to exclude large files from backing up. How can
> > I do that?
>
> Either create an exclude list manually before running rsync or create a
> transfer list and use --files-from (the "find" utility has options that
> would help you).  Adding an option to make rsync do this wouldn't be
> very hard, but no one has written such an option (that I know of).

  IMHO, that's _because_ "find" already does this, and so it should be.
  I think rsync may already be in danger of becoming that 101-function
  Swiss army knife that's just got so many features that it's unwieldy
  and unused.

  OTOH, I did find the --compare-dest=DIR option useful today, and
  that appears spurious at casual glance.

-Chris