trigger command on successful upload?

Robert Helmer robert at roberthelmer.com
Tue Jun 15 03:57:06 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am working on implementing rsync to replace a server
distribution mechanism that currently works like this:

1) process new file on backend server
2) upload file to frontend server using scp or rsync over ssh
3) ssh to frontend server to trigger script

#3 is only used in a couple special cases

I have this tested and working:

1) (same as above)
2) upload file to frontend server using rsync (with patch to rsynd
   to be verbose in error reporting)
3) (same as above)

I would like to be able to trigger a script for #3 instead of having
to ssh over (to make the frontend server a bit more autonomous, and
simplify the process).

I am already maintaining a fork of rsync for #2, so I don't mind
making modifications to the source. Ideally I'd like to have a
param on the client side like --trigger-script="script.sh", that
will trigger a script on the server side only if the upload is successful.

Does this seem reasonable, or am I just making things more complex
for myself? :)

Thanks!
Rob