Reliability and robustness problems

John Taylor john at fcs.uga.edu
Wed Jun 9 17:36:44 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:42:08PM +0800, John wrote:
> OpenVPN tunnels using UDP, and can survive outages that cause rsync/ssh
> to hang. It also does adaptive compression - it turns compression on/off
> from time to time based on current traffic.

If you are strictly using the VPN for rsync, you will be better off
using rsync's compression (-z option) that using the VPN's compression.
I realize that it is adaptive, but if you turn it completely off,
the VPN won't even have to consider if it should compress the stream
or not. OTOH, if you are rsyncing a log of compressed data, turning off
rsync's compression and using the VPN's adaptive compression might work
out better.

-John