[Kde-mirrors] rsync errors from rsync.kde.org

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Tue Jun 8 23:53:52 GMT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Dirk Mueller wrote:

> it seems a lot of people get recently rsync protocol errors from
> rsync.kde.org. Part of the problem is probably that we upgraded to rsync
> 2.6.2 due to security problems with older versions.
>
> the newer rsync release contains a newer rsync protocol that appears to be not
> fully backward compatible. The newer, improved protocol should be faster and
> less memory hungry too.
>
> those of you who experience a protocol error during rsyncing.. are you all
> using an older version of rsync? which one? perhaps that helps debugging the
> problem.

ftp.gwdg.de has senn lots of rsync aborts with master.kde.org - I had the
picture that probably master.kde.org got slashdotted since last friday by
being a SUSE mirror...

Yes, ftp.gwdg.de is still using the "old" rsync:

  emoenke at ftp:0 01:47:48 /mirr/bin > rsync --version
  rsync  version 2.5.7  protocol version 26

and I guess I can't change that due to anasty bug of the new rsync
version:

If I have configured a "--backup-dir" and the new rsync version finds a
second file which has to get deposited there, it is thinking that it is
an error 23 that the backup directory already is existing.

This is more than nasty for me, it is not tolarable if I like to track my
server's activities with the help of rsync return codes - which indeed all
the time was a huge improvement over any ftp protocol mirroring, the main
advantage beneath the true "inode data mirroring" of rsync in my opinion.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)