Reliability and robustness problems

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jun 8 02:47:45 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 07:40:22PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> So, I'll assume (until shown otherwise) that this is a case of
> the remote shell still hanging around.

There's one other possibility I thought of.  You mentioned that your
kernel has gone around killing processes when memory is low.  If one
rsync process is just sitting around waiting to be killed by its sibling
rsync process, but that sibling process got killed before it had a
chance to generate the "all done" signal, a do-nothing rsync process
could be left hanging around indefinitely.  This is pretty rare, though,
as most of the time rsync is actively interacting with the open socket
and it notices when something goes wrong.