Rsync Mirroring Problems

Dan Goodes dang at planetmirror.com
Wed Jun 2 23:14:55 GMT 2004

Hi Again,

On Thu, 27 May 2004 at 09:52, Dan Goodes wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> For some time, we've been having some issues with our mirroring with
> rsync. The symptoms are a broken transfer, with the 'cryptic' error
> message:
>
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1128806 bytes read so far)

Following the feedback I've gotten so far - it appears that the problem is
some incompatibilities between different versions of rsync. It also
appears that the problem is that the server end is 'going away' before the
rsync has finished (perhaps due to a segfault). Here are a couple of
examples of rsync command-lines for which this happens regularly.

/usr/bin/rsync -rltvH --stats --delete download.fedora.redhat.com::fedora-linux-core-updates/ /pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/

/usr/bin/rsync -rltvH --stats --delete --max-delete=500 mirror.caosity.org::cAos/ /ftp/pub/caosity/

You get the idea. Obviously without access to the server logs on these
machines, I can't tell what exactly happened at the precise time that the
rsync failed.

Any further assistance would be apprecaited.

Thanks

-Dan