include directory and all files under

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 1 19:10:00 GMT 2004

rsync -a&otheroptions rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/i386
rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/ports.tar.gz
/some/destination/

/some/destination will look liks snapshots but with only i386 and
ports.tar.gz in it.

You did know that you can specify multiple sources, right?  Oh, you could
also get it in two steps, for instance, if you wanted to put the contents
of i386 up with ports.tar.gz

If you insist on using include/excludes, it's a lot tougher.
+ /i386
+ /ports.tar.gz
- /*
If you exclude '*', you'll also have to explicitely individually include
every item under i386... probably not part of your plans.

I personally have never used include/excludes, but I remember reading the
man page a few years ago, and though it was very well written, I've never
had a scenario where they were appropriate.  From your specification, I
don't think you do either.   Simplify.

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
desk:3032734776
conway at us.ibm.com

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
Sent by: rsync-bounces+conway=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
06/01/2004 09:33 AM

rsync at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
include directory and all files under

Sorry, but it seems everytime I setup a different rsync operation
(client only) I end up here unraveling the include/exclude stuff I
need.

The documentation is quite good but I guess the subject is just quite
a bit to chew.

To cut to the chase:

I want to sync up my own snapshot repository of openbsd.  The basic
install files.  They reside at:
   rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/i386/*

However, there is also a `ports' source file that I want to include
that resides at:

   rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/ports.tar.gz

One level up from the other stuff.  At that level, there are lots of
different architectures etc I don't need so want to exclude.

I'm trying this approach

rsync [...] (various flags skipped)
   --include-from="./include"  --exclude="*"
   rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/
   /some/destination/

./include looks like:
cat include:
  ports.tar.gz
  i386

That gets the ports.tar.gz and and empty directory named i386

Trying:
  ports.tar.gz
  i386/*

Doesn't get i386 or anything under it:

Ditto for this:

  ports.tar.gz
  rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/i386/*
or
  ports.tar.gz
  */i386/*

So how is something like this done?  And what do I need to know to be
able to figure it out next time?