include directory and all files under

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Jun 1 15:33:54 GMT 2004

Sorry, but it seems everytime I setup a different rsync operation
(client only) I end up here unraveling the include/exclude stuff I
need.

The documentation is quite good but I guess the subject is just quite
a bit to chew.

To cut to the chase:

I want to sync up my own snapshot repository of openbsd.  The basic
install files.  They reside at:
   rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/i386/*

However, there is also a `ports' source file that I want to include
that resides at:

   rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/ports.tar.gz

One level up from the other stuff.  At that level, there are lots of
different architectures etc I don't need so want to exclude.

I'm trying this approach

rsync [...] (various flags skipped)
   --include-from="./include"  --exclude="*"
   rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/
   /some/destination/

./include looks like:
cat include:
  ports.tar.gz
  i386

That gets the ports.tar.gz and and empty directory named i386

Trying:
  ports.tar.gz
  i386/*

Doesn't get i386 or anything under it:

Ditto for this:

  ports.tar.gz
  rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/openbsd/snapshots/i386/*
or
  ports.tar.gz
  */i386/*

So how is something like this done?  And what do I need to know to be
able to figure it out next time?