Rsync for program loading on embedded platforms

Greger Cronquist greger_cronquist at yahoo.se
Tue Jun 1 07:44:36 GMT 2004

Hi,

Has anyone considered using the rsync algorithm for loading programs on
embedded platforms? I.e. with low cpu power (say, 16-25 MHz ARM7) and
low memory requirements (programs are < 128 KB, and the rsync algorithm
must use little ROM and RAM). Or is it just not worth the effort?

I guess you'd want to at least modify the checksum calculations and use
shorter and faster checksums (as the data to be transferred is smaller
than on workstations), and you'd need that file overwrite patch that's
been floating around.

Regards,

Greger