only 1.3 of 12 GB will transfer from OSX to Linux

Wallace Matthews wmatthews at sepaton.com
Fri Jul 30 14:58:45 GMT 2004

I have done a lot of testing with single files as large as 85Gig and havent seen
any significant issues. My testbed(s) are Debian Linux and Redhat Linux. The tests
run as root. I have had performance issues with large files but nothing "broke" because
of the size of the files. That is assuming that the basic OS will handle huge files
correctly. You do have to do some work with Debian and Redhat but our business is huge files
so all of our testbeds are correctly configured for them. I tested with rsync 2.6.2 and with 2.5.7.

I can't testify to any other os or operating environment. But rsync works correctly (if somewhat
slower) with huge files. 2.5.7 is slower than 2.6.2 but I didnt see a huge difference in their performance. What I did see was that the rolling checksum isnt much use with huge files and you
spend a lot of time computing strong checksums.

I am not being critical of rsync. It is designed for large directories of reasonable sized files and using it for a single huge file is at the extreme limits of what it is intended to be used for.

We have a special case with large proprietary tarballs (ie. Veritas) that we can't trust to untar correctly so we occasionally have to handle them as a single large file. Unfortunately, we loose many of the advantages that rsync has in this environment and are now working on a proprietary solution to these
exceptions.

wally