Trouble with "--delete" with "--files-from"

Richard Hopkins Richard.Hopkins at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jul 29 14:09:06 GMT 2004

Hi all,

  I've scoured the web, faq and mailing list archives to try and find an
answer to this problem I'm having, but to no avail....

I'm trying to rsync a Cyrus IMAP message store "structure" from one system
to another. (I say "structure" because I don't want to copy over the actual
messages in the message store.) For those of you unfamiliar with the
structure of Cyrus message stores, they are basically hierarchical with
each mailbox being a directory ("sub-mailboxes" being sub-directories etc.)
and each message being a file. In addition, each mailbox has a number of
control files.

I can derive the list of files and directories I want to rsync from the
Cyrus "mailboxes" file and this seems to me to be the most efficient way of
tackling this.

So, having got my list of files, I then rsync using a command of the form...

rsync -q -u -W -a -e /usr/local/bin/ssh --delete --files-from=tmp
/temp2 /mnt2/sms/mail user at remote:/var/cyrus/backups/spo-ms

This is working well for me, except for the "--delete" bit. (When mailboxes
are deleted on the source system I obviously want this reflected on the
target.) Try as I might, I can't seem to get this to work.

Here's an extract from my --files-from file...

/c/user/ccxxx/cyrus.seen
/c/user/ccxxx/cyrus.cache
/c/user/ccxxx/cyrus.index
/c/user/ccxxx/cyrus.header
/c/user/ccxxx/Bris-Lists/cyrus.seen
/c/user/ccxxx/Bris-Lists/cyrus.cache
/c/user/ccxxx/Bris-Lists/cyrus.index
/c/user/ccxxx/Bris-Lists/cyrus.header
/c/user/ccxxx/Bris-Lists/bris-cuc/cyrus.seen
/c/user/ccxxx/Bris-Lists/bris-cuc/cyrus.cache
/c/user/ccxxx/Bris-Lists/bris-cuc/cyrus.index
/c/user/ccxxx/Bris-Lists/bris-cuc/cyrus.header

...in case that's useful.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong here?

Cheers,

Richard Hopkins,
Information Services,
Computer Centre,