HP-UX 11i and largefiles on rsync 2.6.2

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Jul 28 00:13:47 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 03:23:44PM -0700, Steve Bonds wrote:
> write(4, 0x400a0b37, 1) ......... ERR#27 EFBIG

Very nice -- that's what we need to know.  This sparked a memory, and
back in 2002 someone reported a similar problem for AIX.  They worked
around it by undefining the HAVE_SECURE_MKSTEMP define in config.h and
rebuilding rsync.  This would seem to indicate that the mkstemp() call
is not compatible with large file systems, probably because it is not
calling the right open() call in the library (on systems where large-
file support redefines functions like open() into open64()).

Can you check to see if there is a mkstemp64() function available on
HP-UX?  If not, I think that undefining HAVE_SECURE_MKSTEMP is your best
bet on how to proceed (rsync does call open() with the O_EXCL parameter,
so that should make its use of mktemp() secure).