Strange behaviour rsync pull from sun to ppc linux, Integer overflow - attempted 64 bit offset

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jul 22 19:39:44 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 07:09:03PM +0100, Cam wrote:
> The 'strange behaviour' is that the transfer completes and the sender
> seems to send a -1 (as seen in main.c)

Not quite.  The cause must come from someone calling either
read_longint() or write_longint(), which can happen at the end of the
transfer in the report() function (if you're doing a pull rather than a
push).  That is undoubtedly where the error you saw was coming from.

> Capabilities: 64-bit files, no socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
>               IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums
> WARNING: no 64-bit integers on this platform!

That's a weird contradiction there.  I note that if the code in rsync.h
can't find a 64-bit type, it falls back to using off_t.  However, if
off_t is actually 64-bits (as it was here), the code doesn't notice
that.  I've just checked in some changes into CVS that should take care
of this case.