Proposal: cache directory tagging convention

Bryan Ford baford at mit.edu
Tue Jul 20 13:15:28 GMT 2004

Hi rsync'ers,

I'm soliciting feedback, discussion, and hopefully eventually support for a
(currently very short and simple) proposal that would make it easier and more
automatic for users to exclude from backups and other data transfers all the
cache directories that various applications create and manage, such as
Mozilla's web cache.  The idea is simple: if applications that create and
manage cache directories establish the convention of writing a certain
standardized and easily recognized "tag" file within their cache directories,
then data management utilities such as rsync can easily recognize such
directories and, if so configured by the user, automatically exclude them
from transfers.  (For example, via a new pair of rsync options,
"--exclude-caches" and "--include-caches".)  My preliminary write-up of the
proposal is here:

	http://www.brynosaurus.com/cachedir/

I'd greatly appreciate your feedback and ideas.  I don't currently know of an
appropriate place for open, "multicast" discussion of such a proposal, but
let me know if you do - or I can set one up if there's interest.

Thanks very much for your time!
Bryan