backup complete server

Scott Miller srmiller at interbel.net
Mon Jul 19 17:39:45 GMT 2004

I'm new to rsync, and am setting up two servers (Fedora Core 1) - one bing
the "primary" and one the "backup".

primary:  10.28.123.232
backup:  10.28.123.230

On the primary server, I have the following rsyncd.conf file:

pid file = /var/run/rsync.pid
path = /
use chroot = false
read only = true
list = false
uid = 0
gid = 0
hosts allow = 10.28.123.230

>From the backup server, I try to run the following commands, but get errors:

rsync -v 10.28.123.232::10.28.123.230
rsync failed to connect to 10.28.123.232:  connection refused
rsync error:  error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)

I then tried (from the backup server) the following:

rsync -v 10.28.123.232:10.28.123.230
connecting to address 10.28.123.232: Connection refused
trying krb4.rsh...
connecting to address 10.28.123.232: Connection refused
trying normal rsh (/usr/bin/rsh)
10.28.123.232: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (o bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 21) at IO.c (165)

>From everything i've read, it should be correct, but still not working.  Can
anyone please point out what I could be doing wrong?

My goal is to have the backup server take a complete backup of the /etc and
/home and /var directories every night, but want to get at least some files
moving before I start specifying what "to" and "not to" move.

Thanks,
Scott