Help: rsync queries

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Sat Jul 17 06:22:26 GMT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Swapnil wrote:

>  1. I want to know whether rsync server and client are available for
> 	* Novell servers
> 	* Windows 2003
> 	* Windows 2000 server
> 	* Windows NT
> 	* Windows XP
> 	* Xservers
> 	* Mac OS X
> 	* Mac OS 9

I am unaware about Novell, but I do know that you can run rsync under
Windows by using Cygwin. As for Mac OS X, it's Unix based, so grab the
source and compile. I am unsure about Mac OS 9.

>  5. I want to know If rsync Server is receiving the data of around 1 GB
> every day what is harware configuration recommended for the better
> performance.

We maintain just under 1TB per server with 20 or 30 backup targets and
don't see the load average (admittedly a poor measure of performance)
exceed 4.0.

>  7. For backing data across different clients on different platform (as
> I mentioned earlier) do we need data to be backup should be availble on
> shares(NFS/CIFS) ? or what rsync supports ?

There are some weird hang bugs during certain scenarios when backing up
a Windows client to a Linux server. We found (and so have others) that
using a push, rather than a pull seems to clear up the problem.

-Chuck

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR