Rsync security

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Fri Jul 16 17:01:21 GMT 2004

late followup to this thread - i just had noted in the man page
that this was unclear and found this thread waiting on the
list for me when i came to catch up.

       -W, --whole-file
              With this option the incremental rsync algorithm is not used and
              the whole file is sent  as-is  instead.   The  transfer  may  be
              faster  if  this  option  is used when the bandwidth between the
              source and target machines is higher than the bandwidth to  disk
              (especially when the "disk" is actually a networked filesystem).
              This is the default when both the source and target are  on  the
              local machine.

I'd suggest changing the last sentence to  something like

This is the default when both the source and target are filesystems
(local or networked) mounted on the local machine.

tnx
danno