Rsync using --daemon - how to specify port on client side for upload.

Clinton East hah055776526 at geckomail.org
Fri Jul 16 14:17:35 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm not sure what whether I have constitutes a bug, but here goes;

I have two scripts;  one I use when my website is 'correct' and i need a copy on
my mirror, in which case, I start rsync like so;

rsync -avvz rsync://www.clintoneast.com:20000/clinton /home/cje/mirror/
opening tcp connection to www.clintoneast.com port 20000
receiving file list ...

It works fine.

However, i have another script, which I want to have the opposite behaviour; I
want it to freshen files on my webserver which I've updated locally.

I figured I could simply reverse the order of the arguments to make this happen;

rsync -avvz /home/cje/mirror/ rsync://www.clintoneast.com:20000/clinton
opening connection using rsh rsync rsync --server -vvlogDtprz .
"//www.clintoneast.com:20000/clinton"
rsh: rsync: Name or service not known
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)

Now, I'm guessing rsync thinks I'm wanting to connect using ssh, and has lost
the port specification in there somehow... Can somebody please give me a hint
where I've gone wrong?

Thanks,

-cje-

BTW:  If you're looking at this in an archive, my email address has probably
rolled over to a new one, and so you can't contact me using it.  Instead, visit
my site, which you can no doubt guess from the text of the message, if you'd
like to contact me :P