Connection refused

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jul 16 00:34:29 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 01:18:52AM +0200, Kontakt - SWIT-Services wrote:
>  I tried without the second ":". [...]
> Connection refused

Just add a second -v option to see what command rsync is running.  I'd
bet it's trying to use rsh (older versions used to default to rsh).  You
can set the remote shell via command-line option (-e) or via the
environment (RSYNC_RSH).  If you still have trouble, get the remote-
shell command to work in the same environment that rsync will be running
in (e.g. if cron will run it, run something like "ssh host uptime") from
cron.  Once you get that working, getting rsync going will just involve
making sure it is using the right remote-shell.

Also, remove the trailing '*' from your source path (but not the
trailing slash) or the --delete won't delete in the top directory.

rsync -acvz --delete --force /var/spool/mail/ hostname:/to/path