[PATCH] Batch-mode rewrite
wayned at samba.org
Thu Jul 15 03:07:36 GMT 2004
I did some work refining your patch a little, and liked the result so
much I went ahead and checked it into CVS. I'd appreciate it if you
could give my changes a look to see if I messed anything up.
The most important changes I made were:
- Delay the start of batch writing until after any exclude-list and
files-from data gets sent.
- Reinstated the final report() so that the end-of-transfer summary
shows up when reading a batch. I had to make the report() code
always write out the stats data into the batch file. Added a big
comment at the top to help explain what it is doing.
- To make the first 2 items easier on the code, I changed the pipe
code so that a local-to-local transfer turns off write-batch mode
in the "am_server" process (this way the server never writes the
batch, just the client).
- Got rid of the --files-from option from the FOO.rsync_argvs.
- Got rid of a host: prefix in the destination arg in FOO.rsync_argvs
(this got checked in before the new-batch changes since it affected
the old batch code too).
- Added a check to the generator so that it doesn't do a lot of
useless checksum-generating work when --read-batch is specified.
- Added some text to the manpage that talks about what options change
when switching from --write-batch to --read-batch and what options
must remain the same.
- Decided not to include your comments on potential protocol changes.
- Removed some unused variables, and other misc. twiddles.
If you want to see the changes without resorting to CVS, you can look
Thanks for the nice patches! I think this will make batch mode much
nicer. We can consider marking it as less experimental in the man page
after some more testing. (I've done just a little so far.)
More information about the rsync