Rsync Mirroring Problems

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed Jul 14 20:49:58 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 09:14:55AM +1000, Dan Goodes wrote:
> Hi Again,
>
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 at 09:52, Dan Goodes wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > For some time, we've been having some issues with our mirroring with
> > rsync. The symptoms are a broken transfer, with the 'cryptic' error
> > message:
> >
> > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1128806 bytes read so far)
>
> Following the feedback I've gotten so far - it appears that the problem is
> some incompatibilities between different versions of rsync. It also
> appears that the problem is that the server end is 'going away' before the
> rsync has finished (perhaps due to a segfault). Here are a couple of
> examples of rsync command-lines for which this happens regularly.

I know it's been over a month, but... Are you still having problems?

> /usr/bin/rsync -rltvH --stats --delete download.fedora.redhat.com::fedora-linux-core-updates/ /pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/

I can't run this one.  Perhaps download.fedora.redhat.com isn't an rsync
server?

[chris at lt2 test2]$ telnet download.fedora.redhat.com 873
Trying 66.187.224.20...
Connected to download.fedora.redhat.com (66.187.224.20).
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

> /usr/bin/rsync -rltvH --stats --delete --max-delete=500 mirror.caosity.org::cAos/ /ftp/pub/caosity/

this one seems to be up.  Can you still reproduce this?  The server appears
to be using protocol version 26:

[chris at lt2 test2]$ telnet mirror.caosity.org 873
Trying 69.56.240.122...
Connected to mirror.caosity.org (69.56.240.122).
Escape character is '^]'.
@RSYNCD: 26

There were quite a few releases with protocol version 26, so this server
could potentially be quite old.  You might try asking the admin to
upgrade rsync.

Otherwise, you might also try rsyncing the sub-directories individually.
That might avoid an issue with duplicate filenames, or it might narrow
down the failures to one directory.

Good luck.

-chris