cron/rsync issue

Terry Dooher tdooher.lists at naturalmotion.com
Fri Jul 9 08:31:15 GMT 2004

It could be a timing issue that means there's no route or server
available at that time. Given the length of the command line, I'd be
tempted to put it in a shell script with a connection checker:

#!/bin/bash

# Prod the rsync server...
check=$(echo -e "\n" |netcat sunsite.uio.no 873);

if [ "$check" != "@RSYNCD: 26" ]; then {
	echo "Unable to connect to rsync server. Dumping traceroute:"
	traceroute -n sunsite.uio.no
	# or whatever other tests you want to run.
} else {
	# rsync command...
} fi

I use something like this before any unattended rsyncs.

Adding a bit more -vvvvvvvv might give you some more info, too :)