Long time needed for "Building file list" Any suggestions ?

Robert Sander ml-it-rsync at epigenomics.com
Wed Jul 7 13:00:50 GMT 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:42:58 +0000 (UTC),
 "Hergaarden, Marcel" <Marcel.Hergaarden at Getronics.com> wrote:

> It takes about 2 hours to create only the file list.

Hi!

We have a similar problem as we are running dirvish to produce nightly
live backups. The file list building process takes too long.

I have noticed that building the file list is not done in parallel on
the remote host and the local host. Wouldn't that be an option to speed
up the process?

Build the file list in parallel on the source side and the destination
side (there are already two rsync processes running anyway) and compare
the outcome when both have finished. This could easily reduce the time
needed before actually syncing by a factor of 2.

Are there any ideas in this direction?

Greetings
--
Robert Sander
Manager                                                  Epigenomics AG

BOFH excuse #117:

the printer thinks its a router.