Reciprocal Update

ms419 at freezone.co.uk ms419 at freezone.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 08:32:47 GMT 2004

If I run "rsync -ruv <local> <remote>" twice, no files are copied the
second time - as expected. However, if I follow "rsync -ruv <local>
<remote> to <local>.

I suspect this is because the timestamps of <remote> files are of when
they were copied from <local> to <remote>, hence more recent than the
last time they were edited on <local>, and consequently they are copied
back to <local>.

I alternately edit files on both <local> and <remote>, so I must use
rsync in both directions. Is there any way to prevent files copied to
<remote> from being copied back to <local>, unless they've been
modified in the meantime? Can rsync preserve the timestamp of an
original when it is copied? Or perhaps update the timestamp of the
original so it matches the copy?

For that matter, I run rsync in both directions every time I use it -
to propagate changes in both directions. Can rsync instead be invoked
once to perform a reciprocal update? To synchronize <local> and
<remote> by copying updated files in both directions?

Thanks,

Jack