Can't Figure out why rsync job stops

Bryan Sauser Bryan_Sauser at pa-ucl.com
Thu Jan 29 21:36:51 GMT 2004

I connecting to two offsite over servers, that are connected over dedicated
T1 lines. I'm using the same script on both servers. One runs fine, but the
other starts, gets the file list and processes a few folders. Then it will
hang for about 5 minutes before sptting out the following errors:

receiving file list ...
16756 files to consider
dslagel/
dslagel/DRIVERS/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/Desktop/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/System32/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/Temp/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/Windows/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/Windows/PCHEALTH/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/Windows/PCHEALTH/HELPCTR/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/Windows/PCHEALTH/HELPCTR/BATCH/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/Windows/help/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/chms/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/icons/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/images/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/images/large/
dslagel/DRIVERS/ATP_PKG/images/small/
dslagel/DRIVERS/W2K/
dslagel/DRIVERS/W2K/DISPLAY/
dslagel/DRIVERS/W2K/DISPLAY/BIN/
dslagel/DRIVERS/W2K/DISPLAY/PHILDEC/
dslagel/DRIVERS/W2K/DISPLAY/PHILDEC/WDM_2K/
dslagel/DRIVERS/W2K/DISPLAY/R62K/
dslagel/DRIVERS/W2K/DISPLAY/R62K/ATIDRIVE/
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes: phase "unknown":
Connection timed out
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (294104 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(666)
rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT (code 20) at main.c(886)

I have tried making the job smaller. Changing to different folder with
different file, but It always acts like this.
I am running rsync  version 2.6.0  protocol version 27 on all of the
servers. My to offsite servers, and local backup server.

Here is the OS information for the servers.

(gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7))
Working Offsite: Linux version 2.4.20-18.7
(bhcompile at stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat
Linux 7.3 2.96-113))
Problem Offsite: Linux version 2.4.20-18.9
(bhcompile at porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat
Linux 3.2.2-5))

Here is a copy of the script that I'm running.

/usr/local/bin/rsync -avz  --stats --progress
rsync://backup@athena.pa-ucl.com:873:/mercybackupstwo/dslagel
/unmirror/mercy

I am looking for pointer in the rights direction. I can't seem to find any
more specific info on these errors out there.

Thanks for the help.

Bryan