File rename detection?

Alberto Accomazzi aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 29 15:16:10 GMT 2004

I have a feeling that the problem of file-renaming does not have a good
solution in general, but it may be possible for people to come up with a
rule-based or pattern-based algorithm that works for their particular
environment (e.g. I use emacs so I'd want rsync to check file.c~ when
trying to match file.c).

Anyway, I thought I'd mention that there is still a patch in the rsync
source tree that was submitted a long time ago to attempt a "fuzzy"
match on file names (patches/rusty-fuzzy.diff). It doesn't patch
correctly on the current sources, BTW.

-- Alberto

Alberto Accomazzi, NASA Astrophysics Data System    http://ads.harvard.edu
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics     http://cfa-www.harvard.edu