Problems with --exclude

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Jan 27 03:59:52 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:21:39PM -0600, Brian Camp wrote:
> I'm trying to get rsync to exclude the directory
> "/home/www/users/ftp/pub/" from being copied in the command line below
> and have not been successful.  I've tried many combinations, such as
> dropping the /'s and adding *'s,  without any luck.
> /home/www/users/ftp/pub/ is not part of a symlink, but it is linked to
> several times within /home.  The local and remote machines are both
> running rsync 2.5.7 under openbsd 3.4.
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -zqrlptgo --delete --exclude
> "/home/www/users/ftp/pub/" root at gorgimera:/home/
> /home/backup/gorgimera/home/
>
>  What am I doing wrong?  Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

To quote tha manpage (EXCLUDE PATTERNS)

       The filenames matched against the exclude/include
       patterns are  relative to the destination directory,
       or "top direc­ tory", so patterns should not include
       the path elements of the  source  or  destination
       directories.  The only way in which a pattern will
       match the absolute path of a file  or directory is if
       the source path is the root directory.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt