[jerry.seutter@pason.com: Is rsync supposed to resume?]

Jerry Seutter jerry.seutter at pason.com
Fri Jan 23 17:23:57 GMT 2004

Retrying with the _correct_ address this time. *blush*

----- Forwarded message from Jerry Seutter <jerry.seutter at pason.com> -----

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:01:47 -0700
From: Jerry Seutter <jerry.seutter at pason.com>
To: rsync at list.samba.org
Subject: Is rsync supposed to resume?

Hi,

I recently got caught out by the behaviour in rsync and
am not sure if it is a bug or not.

I was running rsync like:

rsync -avz -e ssh --progress <source> <destination>

The source was a directory structure.  Partway through the
transfer I stopped it with a Ctrl-c.  Later I ran the same
command again and it completed.

<Cut out irrelevant confusion here>

I did a checksum on the files in the source and destination
directories and the checksums on one of the files was different.
I think it was on the file that I stopped rsync on.

>From what I read on the manpage, I thought rsync was supposed
to create a copy of the the source on the destination.  Is
this not the case?

After testing a bit I found that adding the --checksum option
provided the behaviour I needed.  Can someone offer some
enlightenment?

rsync version on source:
rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol version 26

rsync version on destination:
rsync  version 2.5.4  protocol version 26

Thanks for a great tool like rsync!

Jerry Seutter

----- End forwarded message -----