rsync.yo doc patch

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Jan 23 02:50:35 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:27:49PM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:02:35PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> > it might be a good idea to change IO to I/O to reduce the doubletake.
>
> Yes, I prefer I/O for input/output as well.
>
> > >  dit(bf(-g, --group)) This option causes rsync to set the group of the
> > >  destination file to be the same as the source file.  If the receiving
> > >  program is not running as the super-user, only groups that the
> > >  receiver is a member of will be preserved (by group name, not group ID
> > >  number).
> >
> > The parenthetic should be dropped.  It will be by ID if
> > --numeric-ids is specified or a daemon is running chrooted.
> > Explaining that here would, i think, only confuse things.
> > Also, "receiving user" might be a better term.
>
> How about this text?
>
> dit(bf(-g, --group)) This option causes rsync to set the group of the
> destination file to be the same as the source file, as much as the
> receiving user's permissions permits.  The preservation is done
> primarily by name, but falls back to using the ID number if no matching
> name is found.  See also the --numeric-ids option.

It still seems awkard and may not be strictly true.

I'd leave it as is except to replace the paranthetic with
the text regarding --numeric-ids in the --owner section or
with:
	Like --owner if the remote system is a daemon using
	chroot, the --numeric-ids option is implied because
	the remote system cannot get access to the
	groupnames from /etc/group.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt