rsync.yo doc patch

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jan 23 02:27:49 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:02:35PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> it might be a good idea to change IO to I/O to reduce the doubletake.

Yes, I prefer I/O for input/output as well.

> >  dit(bf(-g, --group)) This option causes rsync to set the group of the
> >  destination file to be the same as the source file.  If the receiving
> >  program is not running as the super-user, only groups that the
> >  receiver is a member of will be preserved (by group name, not group ID
> >  number).
>
> The parenthetic should be dropped.  It will be by ID if
> --numeric-ids is specified or a daemon is running chrooted.
> Explaining that here would, i think, only confuse things.
> Also, "receiving user" might be a better term.

How about this text?

dit(bf(-g, --group)) This option causes rsync to set the group of the
destination file to be the same as the source file, as much as the
receiving user's permissions permits.  The preservation is done
primarily by name, but falls back to using the ID number if no matching
name is found.  See also the --numeric-ids option.