Rsync's Speed

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Jan 22 20:42:44 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:36:05PM -0700, Steve Sills wrote:
> Well, it is running under SSH, that could slow it down i guess....

Very easy to tell.  If ssh is burning user-mode cpu time the
encryption is a factor.

It is very unlikely the encryption is having any affect on
throughput.  Unless you are on very old hardware the network
is slower than the CPU and for rsync the disk latency likely
makes it slower than the 10MBps network.