running rsync in $HOME/bin?

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:46:19 GMT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Peter listbot-at-gmx.de |Rsync List| wrote:

> But it seems like rsync, started on another machine, does not find the
> rsync binary. What can i proceed, to run rsync out of $HOME/bin?

>From the rsync man page:

       --rsync-path=PATH
              Use  this  to specify the path to the copy of rsync
              on the remote machine. Useful when it's not in your
              path.  Note  that  this  is  the  full  path to the
              binary, not just the directory that the  binary  is
              in.

Despite what's implied, I don't think that the PATH is grabbed from the
normal shell config, at least not when running rsync using "-e ssh".
Similar to "scp" when using ssh, the PATH is minimally defined by SSH
itself.

So in short, just add "--rsync-path=/absolute/path/to/rsync" (on the
target system) to your command line and it should work.

  -- Steve