rsync 2.6.0 - suspected memory leak bug

Garrett, Kelly Kelly.Garrett at Level3.com
Wed Jan 21 13:04:00 GMT 2004

Thanks Wayne,

This just may explain the behavior.  I noticed that when I deleted the
files that were transferred the memory was freed back up.  Thanks for
your help, I really appreciate it - I am not a Linux kernel guru so some
of the low-level subtleties of the OS are lost on me =8^).

I am starting to think there may be a kernel bug (or, maybe more likely,
a misconfiguration), though.  If it is the disk cache that is eating up
this memory it does not seem to be freeing up for other processes when
needed.  I will eventually get a kernel panic on the machine when RAM
and swap have been totally consumed during the rsync transfer.  If this
is the case, I may be out of luck, as Red Hat has retired RH8 so there
will be no bug fixes on it - and I can't get 800GB+ of RAM into the
machine to keep it running past the transfers.  Rebooting a busy
production machine every hour or so (before the panic can happen) is
just not practical (geesh, sounds like I am running Windows).  The
application we are running will not run with the newer versions of RH
yet, so I may have to go to a Sun solution.

Cheers

Kelly