Improving name-truncation detection

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Jan 20 03:20:53 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:09:29PM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 06:46:48PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> > If you're going to do the strlen(src) and whatnot you might
> > as well just snag the strlcpy source and tweak it so you
> > only have to scan the data once.
>
> I snagged rsync's version of strlcpy() from the lib/compat.c file.
> I just tried the BSD version, and it's 2.33 times slower on my Linux box
> (the strlen() and memcpy() functions must be using the string-oriented
> processor functions, but the BSD version is not).

The memcpy may outperform a loop if it uses the gcc
builtin.  As long as the string is short the strlen will
just preload the L1, if it is long it will thrash the L1.

One possiblility would be to not do the strlen on the first
src arg which tends to be a dirname and will be pre-vetted
for length.

> > If you are going to plug in this low level function, why not do a
> > version that does path joining so users don't have to provide the "/".
>
> Just because I thought this was more generic, and there are several
> sections of code that join strings without including a "/".  However,
> the joining of two strings with a '/' in between is certainly the most
> common join, so it might be worth a dedicated function just for that
> idiom.

I wasn't saying "instead" but "also".

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt