Rsync and Tar

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Jan 19 23:15:45 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 03:56:40PM -0700, Steve Sills wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I am trying to setup a backup system.  What I would like to do is
> 	have rsync create a tar file as it downloads (to save space) and just have
> it update that tar file.  Can rsync create a archive on the fly, or does
> this have to be done after its finished its transfer?  I would also like

No.  You might want to look at what rsync does or "how rsync
works".

> to have rsync report its transfer stat to a MYSQL database for billing
> purposes, on a per client basis.  Can this be done?

What you do with the stats in a post-processing script
is up to you.

Instead of reinventing the wheel you might what to take a
look at dirvish and other existing free backup systems that
use rsync to get the most out of bandwidth and disk space.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt