Upload only

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jan 16 16:46:42 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:32:37AM +0000, a a wrote:
> I know there is a read only option that can be specified in
> rsyncd.conf - is there any way to make it upload only?

You can exclude everything from the download, like this:

exclude = *

That would prevent rsync of allowing any file to be downloaded.  Files
can still be sent to the server without restriction.

The bad thing is that if you're worried about other people reading files
they shouldn't, you should be worried about other people writing files
they shouldn't.  I'd recommend you switch the backup server over to a
pull model.  Have it grab files from each machine, either using ssh
(with an authorized key to allow it to login without a password) or by
running an rsync daemon on each machine that you want to backup and
restricting who can connect to it just the backup server's IP.