Ownership lost: linux -> windows -> linux

Pier Paolo Glave glavepp at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 16:06:06 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have a problem of loss of file ownership with rsync.
For some odd reasons, I have to use a windows machine
as rsync server, and to backup/restore a filesystem
from/to a linux client.

All files in my linux filesystem are owned by root,
with gid root.
If I save the files onto the windows rsync server from
linux using rsync, and then restore them back to
linux, the ownership for all files changes, becoming
uid=400, gid=401.

All other file attributes are correctly preserved,
including read/write permissions and even setuid bits.

Could you help me solving this problem?

On windows I'm using cwRsync 1.1.0 on a 2003 server.
Here is my rsyncd.conf on windows:
------- start of rsyncd.conf

use chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = *
log file = rsyncd.log
pid file = rsyncd.pid

[myalias]
path = /cygdrive/c/cwrsync/data/mydir
read only = false
transfer logging = yes

------- end of rsyncd.conf

On linux I'm using rsync 2.5.6, launching it with this
syntax:
/usr/local/bin/rsync -a -v -c --progress --stats
rsync://<IPADDRESS>/<ALIAS> <LOCALDIR>

Thank you for any help.
--
Pier Paolo Glave