2.6.0 "file has vanished" fails to set exit code on local client

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Thu Jan 15 14:47:17 GMT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:45:22PM -0600, John Van Essen wrote:
>> But as I mentioned, it also happens with a daemon
>
> Yeah, the daemon's exit code is not available to the client, so it is
> getting lost.  I've committed a patch that will cause a daemon sender to
> go ahead and use FERROR for the vanished-file message if it is talking
> with a pre-28 protocol (I'm going to put an exit-code message into
> protocol 28).

Sounds good.

BTW, fixing the exit code bug in my rsync trigger script solved my
exit code reporting problem.   Rsync client now ends with:

  wrote 415849 bytes  read 22037678 bytes  18797.43 bytes/sec
  total size is 6033963241  speedup is 268.73
  rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transfered (code 24) at main.c(1064)

My script then reports:

  rsync exited with exit code 24 after 1195 seconds
  Exit Code 24 means a source file vanished.  That's OK.

Thanks again for the tip about the exit code not being returned
from the remote shell.  :)
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of MN Alumnus  <vanes002 at umn.edu>