Unexpected timeout in rsync

John Hunt john.rsync at yoredale.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 13 18:50:28 GMT 2004

Hi

I am having trouble with intermittent timeouts when backing up a largish set
of files from /usr using rsync. Approx 125,000 files, 2GB. Backup is to same
machine, from a partition on hda to one on hdb.  I am using ribs 2.1
(slightly modified to ignore rsync error 23), run with nice -n 5 via cron.
(for ribs visit http://rustyparts.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=9 )

Typical error report is:

rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(103)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2613404 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2613404 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

rsync return value = 12

The rsync command being generated by ribs is:

/usr/bin/rsync -artpl --delete --delete-excluded --stats --timeout=600
	 --exclude="/usr/local/*" -e ssh "root at localhost:/usr"
	/backups/hdb/system/usr/weekly.0 >/tmp/ribs-system-weekly_b4tInu 2>&1

I've just run this from the command line (at default priority) and it took
only 7 minutes to complete. Increasing the timeout from 180 (ribs default) to
600 has not improved matters.

On the other hand a 6GB set of files, mostly jpegs, appears to be handled
reliably. As are all my other ribs backups via cron, generally a few 100MB.

Mandrake 9.2, rsync 2.5.6, open ssh 3.6.1p2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
...John
John Hunt