Progress reporting: N more to check

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jan 13 09:59:18 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:46:05PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> How about "(%d of %d files)\n", cur_index, flist->count;

I tried that, but I didn't like it.  The first number in my patch
tells you the current count of how many files were updated, not the
offset within the list, which I think is more useful to know (yeah
--stats gives that count transferred at the end, but this gives you
a running count and the total at the end without all the other
stats).  It also has a count-down that approaches 0 in the second
part, which is friendlier for large numbers of files.  Being able to
see at a glance in a really large transfer that there are just 3000
files to go, and only 394 files had needed to be updated so far
would be cool.  The simpler x-of-y stat can convey the amount to go
via subtraction (e.g. subtract 29837 from 32725), plus a constant
reminder of the total file count (which is only visible near the
start of the transfer in my scheme).

So, I personally like my suggestion better than a "(file %d of %d)"
display.  Dunno if I'm in the minority on that or not, though.

(FYI, I think I've talked myself out of the extra "more to check"
verbage.  It should be enough to just say "more" and mention in the
manpage that it means "more to check" and not "more to transfer".)