rsync performance question

jim at jrssystems.net jim at jrssystems.net
Fri Jan 9 17:14:19 GMT 2004

jw schultz writes:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:05:25PM -0500, Rick Frerichs wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I seem to be having a performance problem with rsync.
>> ...  If I do a transfer (either way) with ftp, I get
>> about 500 Kbytes/sec. Using rsync to do the same transfer
>> (either way) I only get about 50 Kbytes/sec.

You really need to provide us with more information - what operating systems
are you using on both ends, how much memory do you have on the machines on
both ends, and how many files are you attempting to transfer?  This could be
an antiquated hardware / not enough memory issue, as JW suggested, or it
could be a network-related issue if one or both of the machines in question
is a Windows box.

Jim Salter