[patch] making rsync less verbose

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Jan 8 10:50:23 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:51:41PM +0100, Dick Streefland wrote:
> Unless you suppress all output with the -q option, rsync will always
> print an initial "building/receiving file list ... done" line. In my
> opinion, this is a bit superfluous. When I want to see a progress
> indication, I can use the --progress option. Another issue is the
> 3-line transfer speed and speedup factor report at the end. So every
> rsync invocation produces at least four lines of output.
>
> Attached are two patches to reduce the verbosity of rsync. The first
> one removes the initial line. The second patch adds a new option
> -s/--speedup to control the generation of the speedup report, which is
> now disabled by default.
>
> What do you think? Would you consider something like this for future
> versions of rsync?

Very good providing a patch to go with the suggestion!

I agree that the building/receiving file list...done
messages are often unwanted but we've already hashed out
the issue of proliferation of verbosity options and don't
want to go there.

I have something in the pipeline for keyword based control
of verbosity partially to avoid this sort of proliferation
of verbosity control options.  Probably see it in 2.6.2.