rsync 2.5.7 link-dest seems broken

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Jan 3 20:16:55 GMT 2004

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 02:51:07PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> The question is, should link-dest make the decision based on the
> source uid/gid or based on the uid/gid the file winds up with.

I think it is sufficient to get the link-dest code to figure out if the
file is going to be changed by the chown/chgroup code.  I've committed
a fix that should do this.

> Unfortunately directory sgid effect is not consistant.

I had been leaning toward updating the user/group settings, just as if a
new copy were being made, but the sgid complication reminded me that my
original fix was incomplete in this regard.  So, rsync continues to just
leave the group as it was if a file has already been created and we
don't have the permissions to set the actual group from the source file.