open files

Ville Herva vherva at viasys.com
Mon Feb 23 11:33:05 GMT 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 05:49:37PM -0800, you [Tarun Karra] wrote:

> I dont know about reparse points but.. I know some thing that works like
> this. Probably you guyz know this "St Bernard open file manager". I
> installed the trial version of this software on my windows box and
> mirrored the whole of C DRIVE. And Rsync mirrored each and every file
> inlcluding open files. I also read a while paper about how this works on
> the stbernard site and it said some thing similar to reparse points.

(As I already posted, I was thinking Volume Shadow Copy Service, not reparse
points.)

It seems Open File Manager 9.1 supports VSS:

http://www.stbernard.com/products/ofm/products_ofm-whtpaper.asp
http://www.stbernard.com/products/docs/ofm_whitepaper_vss.pdf

But it's commercial. Duh.

The latter paper explains quite well what VSS is about.

-- v --

v at iki.fi